Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quick, Easy, Delicious Home Made Pizza

* Please excuse my ugly stove photo, I was so hungry, I didn't think to display better!It's not delivery or Digiorno, it is easy on my finances because it was free! I had all of the ingredients on hand to make this delicious dough. When I got married, one of my Mom's friends gave me a great gift. It was her family recipe book. There is something about family recipe books, you just know the recipes are great, they have been handed down for generations. We had pizza night the other night complete with root beer, because really pizza and root beer are a great combo! I even let the kids make their own individual pizzas by rolling out the dough and using a bowl to cut out a small pizza. Sorry there are no photos of my mini pizzas, but of course my camera battery died, and they were devoured quickly. I have listed the recipe below, my notes are italicized, I am getting pretty pro with my family constantly requesting this meal.

Pizza Dough or Bread sticks:

1 TBSP yeast
2 TBSP sugar
3 Cups flour
1 1/2 Cups warm water
1/2 TSP salt

Combine ingredients and mix well. Knead for 3 minutes (I use my Kitchen Aid Mixer), adding more flour if needed for a soft, but not sticky dough. (I usually add about and additional 2 TSBP while it's kneading, just add enough so as it is kneading it pulls away from the bowl.) Let rest for 10 minutes (the thicker you want your crust, the longer you can let it rest). Roll out dough with a rolling pin and fit into a pizza pan. (You can also use a thick cookie sheet, greased with a little shortening if you don't have a pizza pan). Top with your favorite toppings. (This part is super fun for the kids!) Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes until crust is golden brown.

For bread sticks, roll out dough onto a cookie sheet. Cut the dough into rectangles and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt and Parmesan or mozzarella cheese; or for a dessert bread stick, brush with butter and dip in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Let rest 10 minutes, then bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.

The whole process from start to finish was about a half hour, which is what I normally spend making dinner. The nice part is the dough doesn't take forever to rise, while it is rising you can get your toppings ready.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails