Monday, January 10, 2011

Milk Steamers

Ugh, January, my least favorite month of the year. Don't get me wrong I love the new beginnings that the new year ushers in, but I do not like January. I spent 6 years in the desert of Southern Utah where I grew accustomed to the lovely desert winters of the bitter cold 50 degrees. :) Though I have now lived in Northern Utah longer, (going on 8 years), I am still in no way used to the long, drab, bitter cold (really this time, 20 degrees or less) winter, and by January I am done. I enjoy the snow for Christmas, but then getting through the very long month of January, where you are stuck indoors due to cold and the worst air quality ever! I guess that is enough of a rant about my loathing of January, but one thing I do like to do when I am stuck indoors is make milk steamers. It is a good alternative to hot chocolate, because sometimes I get a little burnt out of hot chocolate. It can also be a fun, albeit, messy activity to do with kids, I had my nephew and niece over and we made these. Here is the amazingly simple recipe of milk steamers:

Heat milk in microwave until hot, do not boil
Add 2-3 Tablespoons flavoring syrup
Froth for 30 seconds

I usually heat my milk in a glass pitcher and then pour it into mugs to froth. If you are letting kids do this, only pour about a fourth of a cup of milk in for less mess. I really like the Torani flavorings, you can get the sugar free and they taste really good! If you are looking for a milk frother, you can get them just about anywhere.

What do you do in January when you have cabin fever? Does January give you the blues or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails