Friday, December 2, 2011

Homemade Play Dough

My husband took an internship this summer, and as amazing of an experience it has been, it has left us with no money. Since we are super broke this year, a lot of our friends and family will be getting handmade gifts. Play Dough is one that is fun to give cousins and it is just all around fun to make. My son really enjoyed the entire process, though when it came to actually playing with the play dough, he was a little confused. 19 months may be still a little young, oh well!






I found some fun Tupperware to put it in, I think a bow and a gift tag will make it extra cute. I am going to be using these gift tags this year, thanks Cierra!
Homemade Play Dough
(This recipe is from my sister, Shauna)
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups water
2 TBSP oil (I used Canola)
Food coloring (optional)
Spice for scent (optional also, I didn't use any, I really like the salty smell, I know I am a weirdo.)

Mix flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a heavy aluminum pan. Add water, oil, color, and spice.

Heat on the stove 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture pulls away from the pan. Remove from heat and knead immediately or put it in a bread mixer to knead. (Personally, I love kneading it by hand, it is VERY warm, but I like it.)

Store in and airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.

Are you doing hand made gifts this year? What are you making? I have another few ideas to make, hopefully I will get them done and posted soon!

2 comments:

  1. Last year my brother and sister in law gave the kids store bought play dough, but also made cute mats out of colored construction paper. She put their name on it in glitter and then had it laminated them. The boys have loved them. It also saves my kitchen table from the cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails